6 Fun Indoor Activities for Senior Citizens to Enjoy at Home
It’s wintertime. For most seniors that means spending more time indoors. There’s nothing wrong with being inside, as long as your loved one has things to do to keep their minds and bodies in shape.
- Family tree. Inspire your senior parent to do some genealogy research. There are many helpful and free tools available online. A good place to start is the National Archives, but there are paid services such as MyHeritage.com. If your loved one is curious about his/her origins, they can also try a DNA test kit like AncestryDNA.
- Chair exercises. Sit and be fit. Maintaining muscle strength is important as we age because it helps improve balance and prevent falls. Chair exercises are great, as they provide a good workout and almost anyone can do them. All your loved one needs is a chair!
- Indoor garden. Growing plants of all kinds, even tomatoes, can be done indoors on a table or windowsill. Check out Enlivant’s tips to help get your loved one’s indoor garden started.
- Board games. Playing games is a fun at-home activity for seniors and it also helps keep our minds sharp. Classics like Yahtzee, dominos and Scrabble are great options, but don’t rule out newer games like Qwirkle and Apples to Apples. Learning new games is a good cognitive exercise for seniors.
- Yoga. More and more seniors are embracing the benefits of yoga. In addition to keeping bodies flexible, practicing yoga can be calming and help improve overall wellbeing. Read about Enlivant’s yoga poses that are perfect for seniors.
- Book club. Reading a good book is a great escape for seniors and with today’s technology, anyone can do it. With Kindle E-reader, seniors can adjust the text size, so it’s easier to see and apps like Audible even let seniors listen to their favorite books. To make it fun, start a family book club with your loved one. Get started with Enlivant’s list of our favorite books for seniors.