6 Tips to Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
According to the American Diabetes Association, half of Americans 65 and older have prediabetes — meaning their blood sugar level is higher than normal. Seniors who have prediabetes are on the road to developing type 2 diabetes. The good news is, prediabetes can often be reversed. To recognize National Diabetes Awareness Month, Enlivant is sharing tips to help seniors reduce their risk.
1. Control weight If your loved one is overweight, work together to set a manageable weight-loss goal. Research shows that losing just 5-7% of your body weight helps prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
2. Eat whole Seniors should eat heart healthy diets high in whole foods like brown rice, whole wheat pasta and whole grain breads and cereals because they take longer for the body to turn into sugar. Comparatively, high processed foods like white rice, white bread, mashed potatoes, and donuts can cause blood sugar levels to spike.
3. Move more While any form of physical activity is good, walking has been found to be the most beneficial for seniors because it doesn’t require any special equipment, it can be done with friends, and the risk for injury is low. Yoga is another low-impact way for people at every age to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
4. Drink water Eliminating all sugary drinks is an easy way to reduce blood sugar levels. Instead, encourage your loved one to drink water, coffee, tea or flavored, unsweetened sparkling waters.
5. Quit smoking Type 2 diabetes is another good reason, among many others, to stop smoking. Smokers are 50% more likely to develop diabetes than nonsmokers.
6. Monitor blood pressure High blood pressure increases the risk for type 2 diabetes, so it’s important for seniors to frequently monitor their numbers and manage medication if they have hypertension.
Is your senior at risk?
Take this simple, online quiz with your loved one to see if they’re risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
To learn more about Enlivant and how we help our residents manage and prevent geriatric diabetes through personalized care, call us 1.866.398.7531