Veteran Enlivant Chef Shares Her Secret Apple Crisp Recipe
As a parting gift to her Enlivant family, retiring chef of Morton Place senior living community Shirley Straw is sharing her family’s secret apple crisp recipe—a resident favorite! Shirley learned this recipe from her mother and has cooked it all her life for many satisfied fans.
Shirley’s Apple Crisp
- 6-8 apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Sugar or Splenda (to taste)
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whipped topping or ice cream, if desired
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cup oatmeal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup flour
- Cook apples, sugar (or Splenda), cinnamon, and water over medium heat until apples are softened, about 10 minutes. Add cornstarch to thicken.
- Spray 9x13 pan and add apple mixture.
- Mix together topping in a medium sized bowl. Add to apple mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes or until apples are done.
- Serve with whipped topping or ice cream.