Winning Tomato Basil Turnover Recipe
Chef William Christian of Helena Place shares his award-winning recipe of a Tomato Basil Turnover. Brush up on your culinary skills and try this delicious creation on your own!
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 4 peeled garlic cloves (fresh)
- 4 oz. margarine
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 4-5 oz. fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. basil leaves
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- ¼ cup whole liquid egg
- 2 tbs. water
- Defrost pastry sheets and keep cold.
- Whip margarine, finely minced garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl until well mixed. Set aside.
- Slice tomato ¼” thick, lay out on sheet pan and drain on paper towels for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 puff pastry sheet on a lightly greased 18x26 sheet pan.
- Spread garlic butter on pastry dough and arrange the tomato slices over the top.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese (keep 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese until the end) over the tomato slices. Add 3/4 tsp. basil leaves and 1 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic.
- Combine the eggs and water to make an egg wash.
- Place the other piece of puff pastry dough over tomato mixture. Seal the edges with the egg wash. Press edges with a fork and poke vent holes on top. Brush the egg wash over the entire pastry top.
- Add remainder of parmesan, basil and garlic.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with Italian dressing.
Tips to help seniors weather the winter in good health and good spirits.
Regular exercises for seniors are essential for maintaining good health. Read to learn about yoga exercises for seniors.
Enlivant’s chefs faced off in a cooking competition and a ham loaf recipe came out as a winner. Get a taste of this great recipe today.