Winning Tomato Basil Turnover Recipe
Chef William Christian of Helena Place shares his award-winning recipe of a Tomato Basil Turnover. Brush up on your culinary skills and try this delicious creation on your own!
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 4 peeled garlic cloves (fresh)
- 4 oz. margarine
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 4-5 oz. fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. basil leaves
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- ¼ cup whole liquid egg
- 2 tbs. water
- Defrost pastry sheets and keep cold.
- Whip margarine, finely minced garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl until well mixed. Set aside.
- Slice tomato ¼” thick, lay out on sheet pan and drain on paper towels for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 puff pastry sheet on a lightly greased 18x26 sheet pan.
- Spread garlic butter on pastry dough and arrange the tomato slices over the top.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese (keep 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese until the end) over the tomato slices. Add 3/4 tsp. basil leaves and 1 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic.
- Combine the eggs and water to make an egg wash.
- Place the other piece of puff pastry dough over tomato mixture. Seal the edges with the egg wash. Press edges with a fork and poke vent holes on top. Brush the egg wash over the entire pastry top.
- Add remainder of parmesan, basil and garlic.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with Italian dressing.
Regular exercises for seniors are essential for maintaining good health. Read to learn about yoga exercises for seniors.
Enlivant’s chefs faced off in a cooking competition and a ham loaf recipe came out as a winner. Get a taste of this great recipe today.
Learn about different poses and the health benefits of yoga for seniors.