Outdoor Summer Games and Activities for Seniors
Each year, we officially welcome summer with backyard barbeques, pool parties and baseball games. These activities can look different for aging individuals, but it’s no less important for seniors to get outside and enjoy the summer months any way they can. Here are some outdoor activities and games for seniors to enjoy during summer.
1. Picnic. It’s a fact that food tastes a little better while lounging on a blanket outside on a nice day. Pack a cooler with some refreshing drinks and pick a few picnic games for senior citizens and you're good to go!
2. Cornhole. Or “bags” depending on where you’re from! This and other similar games are fun and help activate motor skills and balance.
3. Greenhouse tour. Most communities have a local greenhouse or arboretum that is open to the public to visit. Take a loved one and some of their friends to admire the greening trees and blooming flowers at this time of year.
4. Gardening. This is an excellent activity that allows seniors to be active at their own pace, feel independent, and is proven to help reduce stress. Learn more about the health benefits of gardening for seniors here.
5. Pool. Swimming is one of the best workouts for older adults because it is low impact and low risk. Bring your loved one to the local pool for some water aerobics or just a relaxing float. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
6. Walking club. One of the best ways to stay motivated is to commit with a group! Start a walking club for the seniors in your life. They will keep each other accountable while getting a good daily dose of Vitamin D.
Plan an activity each week to encourage your loved ones to get outside and soak up the summer with these outdoor summer activities and games for senior citizens.
Make Independence Day a family holiday by celebrating with your senior loved one.
Enjoy Enlivant's Memorial Day activities for seniors with your loved ones.
BLOGExplore ideas for Father’s Day.